Carriage House Museum
Mr. Stillman, an accomplished equestrian, built Wethersfield Stables to house riding horses for fox hunting and recreation, as well as a Carriage House in order to accommodate Hackney horses and revive the declining art of carriage driving.
Over the years, twenty-two carriages were acquired and meticulously restored. All of the carriages in the collection date from 1850 to 1910. During Stillman’s lifetime, houseguests at Wethersfield were treated to daily carriage rides on the approximately twenty miles of carriage trails on the estate. The collection is available for the public to view with advanced reservations.